There are two positions to be filled.
The role will require you to write, co-ordinate and edit SCAN’s sports coverage. You will be expected to organise SCAN’s team of sports reporters, ensuring they attend matches and provide stories and reports which are accurate, fair and entertaining.
The role will also require you to:
- Assist the SCAN Editor in ensuring impartiality and freedom from bias within SCAN.
- Ensure that each newspaper focuses solely on campus-based sporting issues and news.
- Work closely with the SCAN Editor, Associate and Web Editor and keep them informed on the progress of your section.
- Establish a network of contacts within the University’s sports clubs and teams, JCR sports reps and with the Vice President (Activities).
- Keep up-to-date with national, local, university and college sport.
- Arrange interviews with people of interest within and beyond the University.
- Alongside the SCAN Editor, co-ordinate SCAN’s coverage of Roses.
- Provide training and guidance to any member of SCAN writing for the Sports section and maintain a proficient team of sports reporters.
- Organise photography for the Sports section with the Head of Photography.
Applicants should have excellent administrative skills, be a confident team leader and passionate about sports. They should have a good understanding of sport within the Sports Association and JCRs.
Experience in SCAN is desirable but applications will be considered from applicants with other relevant experience. Candidates with no previous experience in SCAN should not be dissuaded from applying – I welcome applications from anyone with a desire to learn and contribute to the paper.